FIFA mulls letting Iraq host 2014 World Cup qualifiers

FIFA mulls letting Iraq host 2014 World Cup qualifiers

PanARMENIAN.Net - FIFA will decide soon if Iraq is safe enough to host 2014 World Cup qualifying games again. The country has been barred from holding home games since last September, AP reported.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter led a meeting Friday, April 13 with an Iraqi delegation, including national team coach Zico. The governing body said in a statement "the matter will be evaluated in due course and will be based exclusively on security considerations."

Iraq is scheduled to host Oman on June 12 after beginning the next phase of the Asian qualifying tournament on June 3.

FIFA banned Iraq from hosting qualifiers for the World Cup and 2012 Olympics. The decision was made for security reasons and after a stadium power outage in the Kurdish city of Irbil during a World Cup qualifier against Jordan in September.

Iraq then played - and won - five straight matches on the road to advance from a group that included China and Singapore. Its subsequent "home" matches were played in neutral Doha, Qatar.

Iraq's current five-team group also includes Australia and Japan, which are favored to claim the two automatic places in the 2014 lineup in Brazil. Iraq is scheduled to host Australia on Oct. 16, Jordan on Nov. 14 and Japan on June 11, 2013.

The Iraqi Football Association, led in Zurich by its president, Najeh Hamoud, has expressed hopes of returning to play in Baghdad, and inviting Blatter to the country. Iraq hasn't played in Baghdad since 2009 and a return to Irbil seems more likely.

Blatter posted positive messages about Iraq on his Twitter account after the meeting, recalling that he saw the national team win the 2007 Asian Cup final played in Indonesia.

Iraq has qualified once for the World Cup, losing all three matches in 1986 to host Mexico, Belgium and Paraguay.

 Top stories
“Although they have not made an official bid, they have expressed an interest in hosting a world championships,” Adamfi said.
Despite finding wrongdoing among the 11 bidding nations, Eckert said the integrity of the votes was not affected.
Nadal has struggled with appendicitis this month and had earlier announced he would not be playing at the Paris Masters.
The grandmaster announced his desicion during an official dinner hosted by Armenian leader, chess federation president Serzh Sargsyan.
Partner news