U.S. expects progress at UN over N. Korea rocket launch

U.S. expects progress at UN over N. Korea rocket launchPanARMENIAN.Net -

President Barack Obama's pointman on East Asia said on Monday, April 16 after a meeting in Japan that the United States expected "progress" at the UN to chastise North Korea for last week's failed rocket launch, AFP reported.

Kurt Campbell said a flurry of diplomacy would likely result in a coherent international response to Pyongyang's defiant move.

"On the process of the United Nations, I think you will see specific steps on Monday when the Security Council returns," the assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs told reporters in Tokyo after the talks with Japanese officials.

"All I can say is there has been very close coordination between the United States and Japan. I think what we have heard is satisfaction with how we have worked together, and what indeed we have accomplished together," he said.

North Korea admitted it had failed in its stated intention of putting a satellite into orbit after the launch Friday of a rocket that disintegrated over the Yellow Sea after barely two minutes' flight.

The United States and its allies believe it was a disguised missile test.

There are concerns that Pyongyang might carry out a nuclear test after the rocket failure, which was intended as part of weekend commemorations marking the centenary of the birth of North Korea's founding leader Kim Il-Sung. The celebrations were also to help formalise a new cult of personality around his grandson Kim Jong-Un.

Washington and Tokyo have asked Beijing to consider supporting UN action against its troublesome ally. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Friday asked her Chinese counterpart to convey U.S. concern to Pyongyang.

Campbell is scheduled to visit South Korea, India and Singapore before returning to the United States on Thursday.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news