April 16, 2012 - 19:33 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - The UN Security Council on Monday, April 16 strongly condemned North Korea's rocket launch, urged tightening of existing UN sanctions and warned of further action if Pyongyang carries out another missile launch or nuclear test, Reuters reported.
China, a permanent veto-wielding council member and North Korea's protector on the 15-nation panel, backed the council's "presidential statement," which was adopted unanimously.
UN diplomats said the council's relatively swift agreement on a declaration condemning Pyongyang signaled Beijing's irritation with its hermit neighbor over a satellite launch that North Korea had been widely urged not to carry out.
"The Security Council strongly condemns the 13 April 2012 (local time) launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)," the statement said.
"The Security Council demands that the DPRK (North Korea) not proceed with any further launches using ballistic missile technology and comply with (Security Council) resolutions ... by suspending all activities related to its ballistic missile program," it said.
The council also asks its North Korea sanctions committee to consider adding new firms and individuals to its sanctions blacklist, as well as additional goods that North Korea would be banned from importing, within 15 days.
North Korea admitted its long-range rocket failed to deliver a satellite into orbit on Friday while U.S. and South Korean officials said it crashed into the sea a few minutes after launch.