Mass-killer Breivik says planned 3 bombs before shootings

Mass-killer Breivik says planned 3 bombs before shootings

PanARMENIAN.Net - Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in Norway last July, said Thursday, April 19 he had planned to set off three car bombs before going on a shooting rampage in downtown Oslo, AFP reported.

"The plan was three car bombs followed by a shooting," he told an Oslo court on the fourth day of his trial, describing the initial plan as a "very large operation".

Breivik had earlier refrained from making his habitual far-right salute Thursday after objections from survivors and victims' families.

On Wednesday, lawyers for the survivors and the victims's families said their clients had objected to the gesture, and Breivik's lawyers said they had informed him of the complaint and asked him to avoid it on Thursday.

On the third day of his trial, the accused was far less cooperative than he had been when he began giving testimony on Tuesday, refusing to answer more than 100 of the prosecution's questions.

He balked especially at questioning about a network of far-right militants called the Knights Templar, which Breivik claims to be part of but which the prosecution says doesn't exist, and his contacts with extremists in Liberia and London.

Breivik also told the court there were only two "legitimate outcomes of this case: acquittal or the death penalty," deriding Norway's maximum 21-year prison sentence as "pathetic".

Breivik will only be jailed if the court deems him sane - something he is fighting for so as not to delegitimise his Islamophobic and anti-multicultural ideology.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news