Iraq's al-Qaida claims responsibility for deadly attacks

Iraq's al-Qaida claims responsibility for deadly attacks

PanARMENIAN.Net - Iraq's al-Qaida branch has claimed responsibility for a series of attacks that killed dozens in Baghdad and across the country the day before, The Associated Press reported.

The Islamic State of Iraq says it targeted security forces and government officials in "response to the campaign of detaining, torture, embargo and confiscation of lands of Sunni people, especially in Baghdad and its outskirts."

The claim was posted on militant websites early Friday.

Al-Qaida says the Thursday morning wave of attacks that struck 10 cities across Iraq, killing at least 30 and wounding 117 people, is just the beginning of what will be a prolonged series of attacks.

Al-Qaida and other Sunni militants have stepped up attacks on Shiites, raising concern of a new surge in sectarian violence.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.