S. Sudan to pull troops from Heglig oil region

S. Sudan to pull troops from Heglig oil region

PanARMENIAN.Net - South Sudan said on Friday, April 20 it will start the immediate withdrawal of its troops from the Heglig oil region, following the worst border violence between Sudan and the South since secession, Reuters reported.

South Sudan's Information Minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin told reporters the withdrawal will be completed within three days.

The newly-independent South last week seized the Heglig oilfield, previously under Sudan's control. Khartoum vowed to recapture the region and global powers have urged the South to withdraw to avert a broader war. Fighting between the two sides has been fuelled by territorial disputes, ethnic animosity and quarrels over oil.

"The Republic of South Sudan announces that SPLA troops have been ordered to withdraw from Panthou (Heglig)," Benjamin said, citing orders from President Salva Kiir. "An orderly withdrawal will commence immediately, and shall be completed within three days," he said. South Sudan wants the status of Heglig to be determined by international arbitration, Benjamin added.

Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir all but declared war against the South on Thursday, vowing to teach its rulers a "final lesson by force".

Philip Aguer, spokesman for South Sudan's army, said earlier on Friday that aerial bombardment had caused the central processing facility at Heglig to catch fire on Thursday. Aguer said the oilfield was still under the South's control on Thursday evening after it repulsed a large attack, but there was no immediate comment on his claims from Sudanese officials.

Limited access for independent journalists to Sudan's remote conflict zones makes it difficult to confirm the often contradictory claims issued by all sides.

Disputes over ideology, religion, ethnicity and oil fuelled Sudan's civil war, waged for all but a few years from 1955 to 2005. Some 2 million people died in the conflict.

 Top stories
Another 10,000 fled Mosul after ISIS took control at the beginning of June and numbers dropped have fallen rapidly since.
The announcement comes just two days after President Abdullah Gül confirmed that he would not seek a second term.
In the report, the Observatory said its activists on the ground have the names of 5,641 rebels who have been killed in infighting.
Both polls have Selahattin Demirtas, the expected candidate for Turkey's main pro-Kurdish party, on less than 10 percent.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.