Forbes names Samsung chair S. Korea's richest man

Forbes names Samsung chair S. Korea's richest man

PanARMENIAN.Net - Samsung Electronics chairman Lee Kun-Hee, currently embroiled in an inheritance dispute with his siblings, remains South Korea's richest man, according to a Forbes magazine ranking, AFP reported.

The 70-year-old, who transformed the company into the world's top chipmaker and second-largest mobile phone maker, has an estimated net worth of $10.8 billion, up $1.5 billion from 2011, said the U.S. publication, on Thursday, April 26.

Lee is engaged in a bitter legal dispute with his elder brother and sister over the vast family inheritance left by their father who founded the group.

Lee Maeng-Hee, 80, accuses the Samsung boss of taking over some shares in Samsung group subsidiaries which their father and group founder Lee Byung-Chull had held under the names of other people.

He demanded his brother return some shares in Samsung units along with cash, worth 710 billion won ($623 million) in total. Their sister Lee Sook-Hee followed with a separate suit.

Chung Mong-Koo, chairman of the country's largest automaker Hyundai Motor, was ranked second in the Forbes list with a net worth of $6.6 billion, followed by Kim Jung-Joo, a 44-year-old founder of online game company Nexon.

Kim's net worth was $4.3 billion, Forbes said, calling his success as a self-made entrepreneur with no family-related business connections "remarkable."

Jay Y. Lee, Samsung Electronics' chief operating officer and the chairman's first son, was ranked fourth with a net worth of $3.8 billion.

Lee Myung-Hee, Kun-Hee's younger sister and the chief of major retailer the Shinsegae Group, was 11th with an estimated net worth of $1.68 billion. This made her the country's wealthiest woman.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news