Hackers take down Turkish Foreign Ministry website

Hackers take down Turkish Foreign Ministry website

PanARMENIAN.Net - The RedHack group this morning disclosed the identities of hundreds of foreign bureaucrats and diplomats, Hurriyet Daily News reported

The group had announced earlier that they were about to reveal "something big," saying that the hacking had already been done and that the authorities could do nothing about it.

Today, the group provided a link to a Dropbox file-sharing address, which contained images of the identity cards the Turkish Foreign Ministry has issued for foreign diplomats working in Turkey.

"Those who are revealed should get mad at the Foreign Ministry, not us," RedHack said on its Twitter account.

The file dump did not include the ID cards given to the children of foreign personnel. "These are only a part of the IDs we have obtained," the group said.

The hacking was apparently a bid to show the vulnerability of sensitive documents to outside interference, as RedHack also tweeted: "Did [the Foreign Ministry] issue IDs to foreign personnel for someone to come and disclose them? They should look at their computers instead of looking at Syria."

Socialist group RedHack brought down the Turkish Foreign Ministry website on July 3 morning, replacing its contents with pictures showing the Turkish prime minister embracing former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The group also defaced the web page "https://public.mfa.gov.tr/" by replacing the page's original contents with two large pictures, one showing Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan embracing killed Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, and another showing him embracing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

A title was placed above the pictures, reading: "Ministry of War and Slavery, not Foreign Affairs." A caption for the pictures read: "Brothers yesterday, enemies today."

 Top stories
"These attacks again underline the fact that criminals will exploit any vulnerability in any system," said Sanjay Virmani.
If the companies had lost the case and damages were awarded, they could have tripled to some $9bn under U.S. antitrust laws.
11 EU interior ministers called on major Internet providers to swiftly report and remove material that could “incite hatred and terror.”
"We've checked and there's nothing wrong on our end," a Singapore-based spokesman for Google said in an email.
Partner news