Intl. court to consider Iran’s suit against Russia over failed missile deal

Intl. court to consider Iran’s suit against Russia over failed missile deal

PanARMENIAN.Net - Iran’s Defense Ministry and The Aerospace Industries Organization have launched a $4 bln law suit against Russia’s state arms corporation Rosoboronexport in an international court in Geneva over a deal to buy missiles suspended by Russia, Rosoboronexport said in its annual report.

“The case was started on April 13, 2011. The subject of the case is “Possible damages of $3,985,159,773.32 to fulfill obligations for delivery of special property,” the report says in reference to ongoing legal cases.

The case has not yet been heard, the report says, according to RIA Novosti.

In June 2010, the UN Security Council passed a resolution imposing sanctions on Iran, including suspension of arms deliveries. Russia responded by saying it would cancel a contract to deliver S-300 missiles to Iran, and subsequently returned a $166.8 million deposit.

Iran has previously applied to the International Court of Justice to try to force Russia to fulfill the terms of a 2007 contract to deliver S-300 air defense missile systems or pay compensation.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news