// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Rafael Nadal pulls out of London Olympics

Rafael Nadal  pulls out of London Olympics

PanARMENIAN.Net - Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the London Olympics, saying he is "not in condition" to compete.

Nadal, who won gold at Beijing four years ago, said in a statement that it was one of the saddest moments of his career and that he will not travel with the Spanish delegation to the Olympic Games. He was set to be Spain's flag bearer during the opening ceremony, according to The Associated Press.

Nadal has not played since his shock defeat by the then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon. He has been struggling with a knee injury since the French Open but had been working hard to be fully fit for London 2012.

"I have to think about my companions, I can't be selfish and I have to think of what's best for Spanish sport, especially tennis and Spanish players and give fellow sportsmen with better preparation the chance to compete," the 26-year-old said. "I tried to hurry my preparations and training to the very last minute, but it was not to be."

He said that the decision "is one of the saddest days of my career as one of my biggest ambitions, that of being Spain's flag bearer in the opening ceremony of the games in London, cannot be. You can imagine how difficult it was to take this decision."

 Top stories
Petrosyan who is currently the chief coach of the Swiss FC Zürich II, will assume responsibilities in his new post starting from November 1.
Mourinho expects Mkhitaryan to be an important player and is relieved he is on the comeback trail ahead of a crucial run of fixtures.
The 29-year-old joined Real Salt Lake in January through a loan for the 2016 season and has scored a team-high nine goals.
Partner news