Chelsea captain charged over Ferdinand abuse case despite earlier acquittal

Chelsea captain charged over Ferdinand abuse case despite earlier acquittal

PanARMENIAN.Net - Chelsea captain John Terry was charged by the Football Association on Friday, July 27 for abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand despite his acquittal at a criminal trial earlier this month, according to AFP.

The former England captain was cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand at a London court hearing on July 13.

However, the FA said in a statement they had now charged Terry after reviewing evidence gathered in their own inquiry in addition to the criminal investigation.

Chelsea said that Terry denied the charge and would be requesting a personal hearing. "John Terry has denied an FA charge announced today (Friday) and will be requesting the opportunity for a personal hearing," the club said on their website.

Terry was found not guilty after a five-day trial at Westminster Magistrates Court which delved into the circumstances surrounding an incident involving the two players during a Premier League match on October 23 last year.

In a statement, the FA said: "After seeking advice from an external Independent QC, and having considered the evidence and Magistrates' Court decision in the John Terry case, The FA has today charged the Chelsea player following an alleged incident that occurred during the Queens Park Rangers versus Chelsea fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.

However, the FA added that Terry remains available to play for England and has until August 3, 2012 to respond to the charges.

 Top stories
Magakian’s career was rewarded with the Legion of Honor, the National Order of Merit and the Gold Medal of Youth and Sports.
Martirosyan is especially eager to fight in front of the Armenian communities of New England and of the greater tri-state area.
The judge said the accused believed his life was in danger and therefore could not be found guilty of a lesser charge of murder.
The 78-year-old announced his intention to go for a fifth term in charge of world football's governing body.
Partner news