Turkey retires 40 generals jailed on Ergenekon conspiracy charge

Turkey retires 40 generals jailed on Ergenekon conspiracy charge

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Turkish military retired all 40 generals and admirals currently jailed facing charges of conspiring against the government in a further sign of greater civilian control of the once all-powerful army, according to Reuters.

President Abdullah Gul approved a decision at the end of a four-day meeting of the Supreme Military Council (YAS) to retire 55 generals and admirals, the General Staff said on its website on Saturday, August 4.

The list included all 40 commanders jailed in connection with the so-called "Ergenekon" and "Sledgehammer" trials involving hundreds of defendants accused of trying to bring down Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's Islamist-rooted government, Hurriyet newspaper said.

The decision marked a departure from last year's tumultuous YAS when the top four commanders quit before the meeting even began to protest the jailing of hundreds of officers, including 20 percent of the military's generals.

Journalists, lawyers and politicians are also in jail on charges of seeking to undermine Erdogan for what they allegedly perceived as his efforts to wreck Muslim Turkey's secular constitution.

YAS also appointed a new commander of the Second Army, which oversees Turkey's defenses against any prospective attack by Syria, Iran and Iraq.

 Top stories
It is time that Turkey is expelled from NATO and its leaders are brought to justice for their role in these heinous crimes, the publisher says.
The resolution calls on UN member states "that have the capacity to do so to take all necessary measures" against IS.
The body of Abdelhamid Abaaoud, 27, was found in the building in the chaotic, bloody raid in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis.
An EU official said Paris “will be in contact bilaterally with member states in the coming hours and days to specify the support it requires.”
Partner news