Court to try slain Turkish-Armenian soldier’s commander

Court to try slain Turkish-Armenian soldier’s commander

PanARMENIAN.Net - A military court in Turkish southeastern province of Diyarbakır has agreed to try the commander of slain ethnic Armenian soldier Sevag Şahin Balıkçı, Nouvelles d'Arménie reports.

Non-commissioned officer Sabrettin Ersöz will stand trial on malpractice charges.

Sevag Şahin Balıkçı, 25, was killed in a Turkish military unit on April 24, 2011. The Armenian was killed after the gunshot wound he received while reportedly playing a practical joke with his co-serviceman, who was later allowed to walk free despite the indictment stipulating for 9 years behind bars for murder by negligence.

 Top stories
President Serzh Sargsyan said earlier that the Armenian side lost some 800 hectares (around 8 square kilometers) in the course of 4-day.
The parties discussed the situation in the Karabakh conflict zone following the early April's 4-day war and the ways to overcome the consequences.
At the meeting, the parties addressed opportunities to overcome consequences of the 4-day violence in Karabakh in early April.
“There can be no success in negotiations if violence continues, and there can be no peace without a negotiation process,” the statement said.
Partner news