Iran says ready to accept foreign aid for quake survivors

Iran says ready to accept foreign aid for quake survivors

PanARMENIAN.Net - Iran said it is ready to accept foreign aid to assist survivors of two earthquakes in the northwest after initially declining offers of help, Bloomberg News reported.

“Our country has, on various occasions, provided help to victims of accidents in other countries,” Iranian Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimi said, according to the state-run Mehr news agency. “In the current context, we are ready to receive foreign assistance.”

Two earthquakes that struck the northwestern province of East Azerbaijan on Aug. 11 destroyed dozens of villages, killing at least 306 people and leaving thousands homeless, Iranian officials have said. The northwest is home to Azeris, who speak a Turkic language and are the country’s largest ethnic minority.

In the aftermath of the quakes, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar said that Iran had declined offers from abroad and would be relying on its “domestic potential” for the relief work. The U.S., Russia and Switzerland are among the nations that have expressed their readiness to provide humanitarian aid.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news