A report by the U.S. magazine Forbes placed six ethnic Armenians, Samvel Karapetyan, Danil Khachaturov, Nikolay and Sergey Sarkisov, Ruben Vardanyan and Albert Avdolyan among 200 richest Russian businessmen for 2014, ARKA said.
Their total wealth is about $10.7 billion.
Forbes ranked the richest Armenian Russian businessman, the owner of Tashir Group Samvel Karapetyan 26th, with a fortune of $4.3 billion, an increase of a half a billion compared to last year.
The wealth of the general director of Rosgosstrakh Danil Khachaturov, placed 40th in the list, is assessed at $2.6 billion (increase of $0.2bln).
Vice-president of RESO-Garantiya Nikolay Sarkisov owns $1.1 billion (decrease of $0.25bln) and is the 98th in the 2014 ranking. His younger brother, head of directors’ board at RESO-Garantiya Sergey Sarkisov was ranked 99th, with the same amount of wealth.
Co-head of Sberbank CIB Ruben Vardanyan moved up 69 positions to 124th place with a total capital of $0.85 billion (increase of $0.35bln).
Director of Wooden Fish Agency Albert Avdolyan is the 133rd in the Forbes’ ranking with a $0.75bln fortune.
According to Forbes, general director of Gasprominvestholding Alisher Usmanov remains the richest Russian businessman in 2014. He is the main stockholder (60%) of USM Holdings with assets in mining and metallurgy (Metalloinvest), telecommunications (Megafon, Evroset), the Internet (Mail.ru Group and DST Global), television (UTV Holding). His fortune, according to Forbes, is $18.6 billion this year, up from $17.6 billion in 2013.
There were six Armenians in the World’s Billionaires list published by Forbes on March 3. Kirk Kirkorian (328th) is still the world’s richest Armenian with an estimated net worth of $4.5 billion.
The other Armenian billionaires are Samvel Karapetyan (345th), Danil Khachaturov (663rd), Eduardo Eurnekian (931st) and Sergei Sarkisov and Nikolai Sarkisov (both ranked 1465th).
Kirk Kirkorian, a hotel magnate is still making money — even at the age of 96. Despite selling $750 million worth of shares of MGM International Resorts in recent years, the Chairman emeritus still owns nearly one-fifth its shares, which have nearly doubled in the past year — helping boost his net worth by $1.2 billion.
Samvel Karapetyan heads the Tashir Group, a real estate firm that owns 27 shopping centers, seven office complexes, and seven hotels.
In late 2013 Danil Khachaturov listed shares in his insurance giant Rosgosstrakh, one of Russia’s highest-volume insurers, on the Moscow Exchange. Khachaturov studied construction and finance at Moscow schools and went to work at privately-held BIN Bank and then at Slavneft, an oil company led at the time by billionaire Mikhail Gutseriev.
Through the years, Eduardo Eurnekian, now 71, has proven he is a flexible businessman and entrepreneur. The son of Armenian immigrants, he first delved into the textiles industry, and then the cable TV business in the 1980s.
Sergei Sarkisov got his start at the Soviet state insurance firm Ingosstrakh. In 1991 he founded his own insurer, RESO-Garantiya where he serves as chairman of the board.
Nikolai Sarkisov, the younger brother of billionaire Sergei Sarkisov, oversees the largest clients at Sergei’s insurance company, RESO-Garantiya. The brothers own 63% of the company, while French insurer AXA owns the remaining 37%.