U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday, October 27 said violence over Nagorno-Karabakh after a Washington-brokered ceasefire collapsed was “disappointing,” expressing optimism that the two sides would work things out but offering no other details, Reuters reports.
“Yes, disappointing when you see that,” he told reporters at the White House. “That’s what happens when you have...countries that have been going at it for a long time. It’ll get back together.”
Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed earlier that a humanitarian ceasefire reached on October 10 and October 17 will take effect in the morning of October 26, according to a statement released by the Governments of the United States, Armenia, and Azerbaijan on Sunday. But Azerbaijan violated the ceasefire by launching new offensives and targeting civilian settlements.
Azerbaijan, with help from Turkey and Syrian and Libyan mercenaries deployed by Ankara, started a war against Karabakh (Artsakh) in the morning of September 27. The Armenian side has reported deaths and injuries both among the civilian population and the military. Foreign and local journalists too have been injured in Azeri shelling of towns and villages.