Marble tombstones with Armenian and Georgian inscriptions have been found during earthworks in Tbilisi, Georgia's capital, at the site that housed the 14th century Vank Monastery, also known as the Church of the Holy Mother of God of the Mens Monastery.
The plot is now home to an Armenian school, while the Cathedral was destroyed by the Soviet Authorities in 1938.
Georgia-based Armenian public figure Levon Chidilyan has told Aliq Media that the church used to be the seat of the Armenian archbishop and a most important spiritual center.
At the moment, 2 tombs with bones have also been discovered, and Chidilyan believes more will be unearthed in the near future.
The exterior of the church of S. Astvatsatsin was constructed of solid brickwork, and was a triple-nave (with equal naves) basilica in plan. Bell-tower at 3 Atoneli Street is all that remains of the complex.