Three jars dating back to the 16-17th centuries were discovered during construction of St. Anna spiritual complex on the territory adjacent to St. Mary church in the center of Yerevan.
Director of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences, archaeologist Gagik Sargsyan told a PanARMENIAN.Net reporter that the jars were found as fragments, but not in one piece. On April 20, they will be transferred to Yerevan History Museum.
According to the archaeologist, the jars have no archaeological value, though they indicate that a cellar could be located on the church territory.
Sargsyan added that the excavations will continue to define the importance of archaeological layers.
On April 1, a fragment of the 17th century khachkar, attached to the wall inside the church, was found, as well as a part of a wall of a basilica blown up during 1936’s Stalin-era repressions.
Experts did not rule out the possibility of the discovery of more artifacts dating back to 17th century left in the ruins after the devastating earthquake in 1679.
However as was reported earlier, construction works will continue, as no artifact of real value was found.